1 In 12 Britons Admit They Don’t Lock Doors While Out The House

New research has revealed that 1 in 12 Britons don’t lock their front or back doors during the day when they’re out of the house, with 1 in 7 confessing to not locking their doors while asleep at night. The top reasons given for not locking the doors include Britons feeling that they live in a safe neighbourhood, as well as wanting to give family & friends the option to come and go as they please.

8% of Britons have confessed to leaving their front door unlocked while either out of the house or asleep, with the average length of time doors remain unlocked being eight hours.

The survey was carried out by home interiors specialist www.hillarys.co.uk. 2,231 Britons aged 18 and over, all of whom stated that they owned or rented their own home and lived with a partner, were quizzed about the safety and security of their homes.

Initially all respondents were asked ‘Do you lock your doors during the day when the house is left empty?’ to which 92% of respondents stated that ‘yes’ they do, whilst 8% stated that ‘no’ they don’t. Similarly, all respondents were then asked ‘Do you lock your doors during the night when you’re in bed asleep?’ to which 87% of respondents stated that ‘yes’ they do, and the remaining 13% confessed that ‘no’ they don’t.

Wanting to delve a little deeper, all respondents who confessed to regularly leaving their doors unlocked while either out of the house or asleep were asked why they felt it was safe to do so. When provided with a list of possible responses and told to select all that applied, the top five responses were as follows:

  1. I live in a safe neighbourhood – 34%
  2. I want my friends/family to come and go as they please, without needing a key – 29%
  3. Those I live with regularly forget their keys – 25%
  4. I’m never out of the house for a long period of time – 16%
  5. I have home insurance if anything were to happen – 7%

According to the poll, when asked what precautions they took to ensure their belongings were safe when they’re either not home or asleep, the top responses were ‘I ensure all of my valuables are nearby and not left unattended’ (21%) and ‘I live in the type of neighbourhood where we look out for each other’s properties; no one would get away with trying anything’ (19%)

What’s more, when asked what’s the longest period they’ve gone in recent months without locking their doors, the average response was revealed as 8 hours, whilst one respondent admitted they’d gone three days without locking their doors at all.

Tara Hall, spokesperson for www.hillarys.co.uk,

“Leaving the front door unlocked is fine until it’s not – at which point the neighbourhood probably won’t feel quite so safe and locking the front door won’t seem like such a hassle.”

 

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.